A few good links

Sunday 26 September 2010

A lot of my time recently has been taken up with life in general and it's been nice, but hasn't left much time for blogging. I'm training for the Great Eastern Run and with two weeks to go that's keeping me pretty busy so you'll have to excuse the fact that some of these posts have been around for a while now. It's taken me a while to get round to compiling this post - so here, have a few links to things I've been looking at recently.

- I can't believe I've only just been alerted to the existence of Fat Quarter, a 'woman-friendly' publication/site which was set up 'as an antidote to the rafts of women's glossies' (which is what I like to hear). Go and see for yourself or better still, purchase a copy!
- Speaking of woman-friendly enterprises, I'm delighted to be involved in a new project - Siren magazine, spearheaded by my friend Felicity of The Tempest in the Teacup. Inspired by alternative women's magazines and websites, Siren plans to provide food for thought for women who are sick of reading features about diets and finding a man. I believe women want - and need more. Inspiring content on careers, relationships, news and issues, culture, creativity and hobbies. Technology, travel, sport and women who are making a difference. Siren launches on October 1st so keep your eyes peeled.
- Ruth Rosselson writes about why fast fashion is a feminist issue, discussing the ethical issues surrounding garment production and the way that fashion companies do business, arguing that we need to see drastic changes to make sure that the people who help produce clothes are treated more fairly. A few days ago I was discussing with friends on Twitter how an emphasis on ethical clothing can exclude people who don't have the money to pay for it and obviously there are not just 'fast fashion' issues but class issues having an impact here. In short, there are many problems to take into consideration.
- Cath Elliott has done a sterling job of compiling a list of UK feminist bloggers. Plenty of great sites to explore.
- A piece from the Guardian details the full horror of the extent to which female genital mutilation is being inflicted on girls worldwide, with emphasis on the fact that up to 2,000 British girls have undergone 'cutting' this summer. Although it is illegal for anyone to perform FGM on a permanent UK resident, no prosecutions have been made.
- A brilliant post from Sian entitled "If I Was A Superhero".

Last year's Great Eastern Run caused me to miss Feminism in London but this year they're being held on different weekends so I will be attending the conference. Call this advance warning because I'm a big fan of meeting up with blogging acquaintances at events like this. Hope to see some of you there!

No comments:

 

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger